Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sharing after 1st lecture

Here I also want to share some of my experiences.  I am a secondary school teacher, teaching AL Computer Studies and ASL Computer Applications.  My school employs eClass to assist teaching and learning.  Last year, for each course I was teaching, I created a "Classroom" in eClass and related resources could be downloaded.  I also posted questions asking students to discuss online.  Students could also post questions to me and to other students.  Nonetheless, after a month, I found that the students' participation was not satisfactory.  Some students seldom logged on, few students gave responses to my questions, and even fewer ever posted any questions. 

Later, I found that they all have a msn account and they like to chat using msn.  So I created a msn account for this purpose and joined their network.  Since then, they chatted with me on msn regularly.  Initially, many trivial things were exchanged.  Then they started asking me questions regarding the course.  I would not give an answer immediately but post the questions to others via msn, asking all to think and discuss.  Certainly, I would not tell the origin of the questions.  In most cases I received responses from some of them, and I would give them a summary finally.  Gradually, I would send them the questions, but also posted them in eclass, and asking them to discuss in eclass.  Finally, I would only post the summary and my answers in the eclass.  Though they still mainly asked me questions via msn after lesson instead of eclass, the participation in eclass was much higher and most of them did discuss in eclass.

Why students enjoy communicating with me using msn instead of eclass?  I think first of all they are familar with msn but not eclass.  Secondly, students have the pre-conception that msn is for fun but eclass is for teaching and learning and so must be boring........

Tse Chi Kui (Andy)
1988054934

1 comment:

  1. I think there is a major difference betweem using MSN and the eClass LMS. MSN provide a instant response for the users while LMS need the users to wait for a reply. As the living pace in Hong Kong is so fast that user, even students, have less patient to wait for the reply of the post or ansewer of questions. What do you think about that?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete